Laksiri Seva warehouses are customs bonded warehouse meaning to clear your goods you only have to visit our warehouse where the customs officers are in our premises to complete all your clearing process in an easy and transparent way.
You should be aware that sending anything other than personal use items may end up being marked as dutieable item so its always better to know what you send to be cleared using your available allowences. Following guidelines give you an insight into what is involved in this process.
- When the sender and receiver is the same person they will be considered as un-accompanied personal baggage(UPB) and may be cleared under the duty free allowances. Otherwise they may be treated as gifts and duty will be charged.
- Goods for the private use except goods in commercial quantities are allowed under the duty free allowances. List of permissible articles are list in this link.
- You are required to be present with your passport at the respective UPB warehouse for the clearance of baggage. You may authorize someone in writing to clear the baggage in your absence. In such case you need to send your passport with the assignee.
- If you want to leave the country prior to the clearance of your UPB baggage, you need to authorize someone to that effect on a “Power of Attorney” before your departure. You need to forward the power of attorney to the duty officer of the Customs at the departure terminal of the Air Port. The officer will endorse the available allowance in the Power of Attorney and you need to hand it over to the person authorized by you. Once the baggage is available for clearance, your authorized person can present himself with the Power of Attorney and claim the baggage.The power of Attorney should be registered in the Registrar General’s Department of Sri Lanka or any branch office prior to submit the same to the Airport Duty Officer.
- Items not listed under the baggage article list may require special permission from different government authorities. such as
- – Import & Export Control Department (Import Control License)
– Sri Lanka Standard Institute(SLSI)
– Telecommunication Regulatory Commission(TRC)
– Cosmetics Devices and Drugs Authority(CDDA)
– Ministry of Defence(MoD)
– Food Department
– Plant/Animal Quarantine Services, etc.